I narrowly avoided another total failure this week. I attempted these dyed Easter eggs from Martha Stewart (there are a ton of very cool ideas on her site!) and they didn't turn out well at all. The lace absorbed the dye and it just looked like a blurry mess. I think the lace needs to be polyester, not cotton - then it would act as a more of a barrier.
Luckily, I tried the eggs earlier in the week, so I had time to come up with something else. Once again, I hit the fabric stash and dug out some more felt. I also have lots of trim & rick-rack hanging around. I originally thought I'd make little Easter baskets for everyone at work, but then I realized just how much work that would be. So I decided to do just one treat for my girl Katie instead.
I played around with doing a Peep shape, but it looked weird, so I just went with the classic Easter egg. I traced the outline, stitched on the trim, and stitched around the outside before I trimmed the edges. I intended to use my pinking shears but couldn't find them at the time - of course, they were sitting a couple of feet away!
I was too lazy to sew on a button by hand so I used scotch tape and my sewing machine! This is a great technique for sewing on lots of buttons - just drop your feed dogs and adjust the zigzag width to your buttons. You can sew right through the tape, then peel it off. You'll probably want to give the needle a quick rubdown with alcohol when you're done, to clean any adhesive off.
All done! I filled it with Robin's Eggs - mmmm, I love malted chocolate! - and left it in Katie's dressing room. She loved it! I really should make more things to give away as gifts - I love the ego boost :-)